Oregon Environmental Council Submits Testimony in Support of Unleaded Aviation Fuel
Attached is testimony submitted by the Oregon Environmental Council (OEC) expressing support for Senate Joint Memorial 1. A hearing on this memorial took place on Wednesday, April 15 at 1:00 pm in the Senate Business & Transportation Committee https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2015R1/Committees/SBT/2015-04-15-13-00/Agenda.
Below is an excerpt from the OEC testimony. See OEC Testimony for the full submission.
“Oregon Environmental Council supports SJM 1, which signals the Oregon Legislature's support for the Federal Aviation Administrations initiative to certify safe unleaded aviation fuel for piston engine aircraft and encourages the Federal Aviation Administration and the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to prioritize the development and certification of unleaded aviation fuel in advance of 2018.
Aviation gasoline used to power piston engine aircraft is the single largest source of lead emission in the U.S. and poses a significant threat to public health and the environment. Despite the phase-out of lead in automobile fuel almost 20 years ago, nearly 500 tons of airborne lead is still emitted annually from aviation gasoline. As the only remaining lead-containing transportation fuel, aviation gasoline directly contributes to lead exposures, which are particularly detrimental to children. The Centers for Disease Control has confirmed that no blood level of lead is safe in children; even low levels of this known neurotoxin have been shown to permanently affect children's IQ and ability to pay attention, which also impacts their academic achievement.”
Oregon Aviation Watch extends our gratitude to OEC for submitting this testimony and to the following sponsors of SJM 1:
- Michael Dembrow, Diane Rosenbaum, and Elizabeth Steiner Hayward
- Mitch Greenlick, Phil Barnhart, Peter Buckley, Lew Fredrick, Alissa Keny-Guyer, Jeff Reardon, Barbara Smith Warner, and Jessica Vega Pederson.
OAW urges members of the public to submit testimony in support of this effort to their elected representatives and to the Senate Business and Transportation Committee. The text of SJM 1 can be accessed at https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2015R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/SJM1/Introduced.
Members of the Senate Business and Transportation Committee are:
- Senator Lee Beyer:
- Capitol Phone: 503-986-1706, Capitol Address: 900 Court St. NE, S-419, Salem, Oregon 97301, Email: Sen.LeeBeyer@state.or.us.
- Senator Rod Monroe:
- Capitol Phone: 503-986-1724 District Phone: 503-760-4310, Capitol Address: 900 Court St. NE, S-409, Salem, Oregon 97301 District Address: 7802 SE 111th Avenue, Portland, OR 97266, Email: Sen.RodMonroe@state.or.us.
- Senator Chuck Riley:
- Capitol Phone: 503-986-1715, Capitol Address: 900 Court St. NE, S-303, Salem, Oregon 97301, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Senator Chuck Thomsen:
- Capitol Phone: 503-986-1726, Capitol Address: 900 Court St. NE, S-316, Salem, Oregon 97301, Email: Sen.ChuckThomsen@state.or.us.
- Senator Fred Girod:
- Capitol Phone: 503-986-1709, Capitol Address: 900 Court St. NE, S-401, Salem, Oregon 97301, Email: Sen.FredGirod@state.or.us.